This past Sunday, at church, I really enjoyed the message that the Pastor shared with us in regards to listening to the voice of God.
I feel like it is a topic that regularly needs to be taught upon, because there seems to be a great deal of confusion as to the voice of God, what that looks like, sounds like, and there is a lot of noise.
And truthfully, if I can be honest Sister Friends, we seem to believe that our feelings align, when more often than not, our feelings can lead us astray and away from God’s perfect will for our lives. I loved this quote from Sunday:
“Sometimes we are so focused on seeing signs and the spectacular, that we miss the simplicity of God’s voice.”
YES! Have you ever spoken to someone who constantly declares that they had a sign from God that they were supposed to go in a certain direction (even if that direction is sin) and give God the glory for it? Friends, God will not lead us in a way that is contrary to His word. He is not a God of confusion. But, they falsely believe that it was from God because their vision or feelings were so spectacular, they only assumed it was from God, not their own fleshly wants.
I want so badly to be a woman who is lead by God and can discern His voice in my life. These ways listed, I believe will help me and many of you!
Pastor Gary shared that there are 5 ways that God will lead us-and it isn’t always how we might think.
- God will lead us by our knowledge of right and wrong. Doing what is right and allowing God to work out the details.
- By His Word. This seems to be a no brainer, and as a Christian woman, one would think that we are constantly in His word for guidance, peace, hope, direction. But too many instead seek wisdom from “Christian” bloggers and authors and social media accounts, instead of going to the source. That source is the Bible! Psalm 119:105 . Do you believe God’s word is ALIVE? Because I do!
- Leads us by His peace. Colossians 3:15 One of the reasons God puts peace in our hearts is to help us navigate the challenges in our lives. When the peace is destroyed, I need to get alone with God and find out WHY. Pastor Gary compared God’s peace to like playing umpire in your life. I loved that comparison, especially as a sports mama. Allowing God’s peace to play umpire in my life will help me see Balls and Strikes in my circumstances and the challenges.
- Through the Godly counsel of other people. Yes to all of this!!!!! We don’t need to seek counsel from everyone, but we should be discerning enough to seek counsel from people who love the Lord. To dig deep and draw from that person, like a person drawing water from a well for living. When we don’t seek advice from others who love the Lord, especially when we need to seek advice, it is PRIDE. Don’t be prideful. Draw it out!
- Lead us by His Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit was given to us upon our confession of faith. It will be dropped into our spirit. These are not your feelings, but a deep longing that is only stirred by God. The Holy Spirit will never disagree with the Word of God.
If you want some additional reading and studying on this topic of listening and being led by God, read 1 Kings 19:1-13. Pay attention to how God leads and speaks and works in Elijah’s life and circumstance.
Dig deep into the well, sister friend. There is living water there.
Be a Size You,